Sunday, April 7, 2013

Back to Work


The time that I have been dreading arrived-it was back to work for me. Time to leave my little kids for my big kids. Maternity leave is over.
Getting some last minute snuggles in before heading off to work.
 
Wednesday was my first day back to work. I lingered around the house in the morning because I really didn't want to leave my girls. My mom was watching them, so I knew they would be in good hands, but I was going to miss them so much. On the drive to work I cried a little. When I got inside the building, I saw one of my coworkers. She welcomed me back with a big hug and I started crying on her shoulder. When the actual school day started I did okay. I sent a text to my mom to check on the girls and all was well. At lunch I called to see how things were going, and then I cried some more. I repeated this at my planning period. Once school was over, I rushed out of the building so that I could get home to see the girls.
Josie slept most of the day.
Sophie thinks she is cool with her phone in her pocket. Too cute.
The girls had a fun day with their Grandma. I think they both missed me though. When I came in through the garage, I heard Sophie yell, "My mommy home!" I smothered her in hugs and kisses and played with her for a few minutes. Then I sat down on the floor to snuggle with Josie. Sophie wanted to play some more, so she brought over her cell phone (an old one of mine in the picture above). She tried to put it up to my ear so I could 'talk' to Aunt Beba (Debra). She didn't have a good grip on it apparently and she dropped it right on Josie's head. Arg! So much for a peaceful, relaxing time after work. Then again, is there such a thing as a peaceful, relaxing time with a toddler and a newborn?

After the phone experience, my mom left and the girls and I played while we waited for Joe to come home. Both girls were happy to have their parents home with them.
Smiling at Daddy
Josie was happy to have her parents back home. We were happy to see her, too.
Thursday and Friday weren't as bad as that first day. I didn't cry on either day - I was too busy to really dwell on how sad I was about leaving the girls behind. I knew they were safe and happy with their (tired) Grandma, so it was easy to lose myself in the school day.

My favorite quote from a student this week was, "Mrs. S you were able to walk up the stairs without losing your breath!" The last few months of my pregnancy I was always out of breath when I walked up the stairs. It was wonderful being able to keep up with my class and be huffing and puffing as I climbed the stairs. I am so thankful for that!

I am glad that I have the first (partial) week over with. I'm on Spring Break now. I am so glad that I went back when I did. It gave me a chance to drip my toes back into working before having to completely dive in. I have another week to enjoy my girls and really prepare myself for the rest of the school year. It won't be long until summer vacation! I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment