Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Zoo Trip Without Daddy


I decided to be brave today and I took both girls to the zoo without Joe. I wasn't too scared because we were going to meet up with some friends of mine, the Herald family. They helped me out so much! Their daughter carried Sophie around when she didn't want to be in the stroller and helped to keep her entertained. They are so cute together. My friend James held Josie while I got her bottle ready and fed her while I took Sophie on the carousel (she would have gone nuts if we didn't go on the carousel!). I don't think I would have survived without them!
Josie isn't used to all this sunshine!

As always, Sophie loved the zoo. She loves animals and seeing all of the exhibits. Josie slept most of the time, only waking up when she was hungry.
Sophie was so excited that the tiger was right in front of the glass. 
Sleeping in the nocturnal house. 
The only real frustrating part for me had nothing to do with the zoo. **Warning - possible whining up ahead** Sophie was (once again) mistaken for a younger child. This happens constantly and sometimes it really gets to me (yes, I am sensitive). We were over by the tiger exhibit and as she started to walk away from me, Sophie stumbled a little over her feet. An older woman next to me looked over at me and said, "Aw, how cute. A new walker!" I smiled and let her know that she was actually 2 1/2 years old. (At this point Sophie started running around showing off that she is in fact an older kid.) The woman was surprised (they always are) and asked the normal question - "Was she a preemie " Sometimes it is just easier to say yes, but I went ahead and gave my standard 20 second response to that question: "She was small in utero, and was full term but only weighed 4 1/2 pounds. She continues to be small and we don't know why, but she is a normal, active kid." The woman was surprised and did a "bless her heart" before walking away. I know people don't mean anything when they comment on Sophie's size, but it gets old after awhile. (This is a common frustration for parents of IUGR babies.) At least this woman didn't offer me advice on how to bulk her up like many do. Anyway....
After we were there for two hours, the girls started to get cranky and I knew it was time to head home. I was so exhausted when we finally got to the car. The girls were, too. It took me about 10 minutes to change their diapers, strap them into their seats, and load the stroller in the back before we were finally on our way. (Side note: Things take so much time when you have two kids! I am fearful that I will never get faster with things.) Both girls were asleep within 5 minutes. We all three took another nap when we got home. It was a fun, exhausting day. I can't wait to do it again...with help, of course!




No comments:

Post a Comment