Monday, February 20, 2012

Sick

This whole past week Sophie's nose has been running (clear at least) and she developed a gross cough. Nothing else seemed to bother her, though she was eating less food (this isn't really an indicator of anything for us though, as we are used to Sophie's eating habits). Saturday morning though I noticed that in addition to a runny nose, Sophie's right eye was getting watery. This seems to always happen to her right eye when she gets a bad cold, so I had a feeling that things were going to start getting worse.
Runny nose

Watery eyes
Sophie acted fine the rest of Saturday, but right around midnight she woke up puking. Sophie has never puked like this before. She has spit up and there were a few times that she puked from her overnight feeds from her feeding tube, but nothing like tonight (meaning actual food and such). She puked again around 3am. There was some dried puke on her cheek, which makes me think she must have gotten sick sometime between 12 and 3. I always put 3 crib sheets and sheet protectors on her mattress which normally would be more than enough for a nighttime accident, but not tonight. She went through all 3 of the crib sheets. After wiping her down, cleaning out her nose (there was puke in there...gross) and changing her pajamas, I brought her downstairs to sleep with me on the couch. Around 4am she sat up and started wimpering. I had a small blanket ready and she puked right on it when I held it out in front of her. Luckily that was the last time she puked.

Sunday morning Sophie acted fine. She still had a runny nose and watery eye, but she was happy as can be. She wasn't interested in eating (I don't blame her), but she drank a lot for me. She had a really messy diaper that got all over her pajamas though, so I called the doctor's office to get their opinion on things. Of course it was Sunday, so I had to leave a message (they finally called back Monday afternoon and weren't concerned at all). As the day progressed, Sophie's eye started to ooze a little and her appetite continued to decrease. I'm glad she at least likes water because she was not interested in her Pediasure or Pedialyte. Her eye started to ooze more as the night went on. She didn't puke or poop anymore though, so I consider it a win for the day.

Her right eye is a little red because we kept wiping the gunk away.
Monday morning she woke up and her right eye was basically glued shut from all the gunk that had oozed out. (I kept a wet washcloth with me most of the day so that I could keep wiping off her eye. The gunk just kept coming back.) She drank a few sips of Pediasure and a little bit of water, but didn't want anything to eat. After an hour of being awake, she ended up falling asleep on my should for an hour and a half. When she woke up she played and laughed and acted like herself. A few hours later though she was felt really warm and was becoming crabby. I gave her some Advil and put her down for a nap. She ended up sleeping for 4 hours! She wouldn't eat or drink after she woke up. She did have some ice chips though, so at least she had something in her system. Her eye and nose kept running the rest of the day, both yellow in color. We kept wiping both away, and it seems we rubbed the skin under her eye raw! Poor kid.

At the beginning of the day it looked like a bruise under her eye. By the end of the day it looked like this. I guess we rubbed her eye too much. :-(

The eye looked a little better after she got a bath. Still looks bad though. 

I hope this doesn't last much longer. I hate seeing Sophie not feel well!

2 comments: