Monday, February 13, 2012

All Clean

We brushed Sophie's teeth for the first time tonight. She has always enjoyed "helping me" brush my teeth (holding the toothbrush while I brushed) and playing with her gum massager (which looks kinda like a toothbrush), but we never ventured  into the actual brushing of her teeth. In the past instead of brushing her teeth, I've rubbed her teeth with a wet cloth (per the dentist's suggestion). Sophie has never been a fan of letting me stick my fingers in her mouth, so it didn't happen often. Plus, if you put your fingers in her mouth, she bites...hard! During bath time, Sophie always sucks on a washcloth, so I figured that she was helping to keep her teeth clean that way. Still, Grandma Z. decided it was time for us to start brushing those pearly whites for real, so she went out and bought Sophie some toothpaste and a toothbrush.

Sophie loved the toothbrush! Not necessarily the brushing aspect, just the toothbrush. She let me kinda brush for a minute before she clamped down on the toothbrush and giggled. Then she took over control of the brush. She had a lot of fun sucking the toothpaste off the brush and trying to brush her teeth herself. She also enjoyed watching the baby in the mirror brush her teeth. When I tried to take the toothbrush away so that we could put her to bed, she threw a fit! At least she enjoyed the "brushing" experience. Let's hope that she continues to enjoy good dental hygiene!








1 comment: