Friday, October 28, 2011

Treat and Eat Night

Tonight was my school's Treat and Eat night. All the kiddos come back to school dressed in their costumes and teachers and parent volunteers pass out candy (as well as some other things that I never see since I am passing out candy). I was very excited to bring Sophie so that she could help me pass out candy. She enjoys people watching (like her momma), so I figured she would enjoy this.

I was a little nervous today about not taking Sophie home right after I picked her up from the baby sitter's. Sophie normally naps when she gets home and can be a grump when she doesn't get her nap. Yesterday we tried going to our niece's birthday dinner and Sophie, who didn't get her nap (and is still getting over her ear infection), threw a complete fit in the car. We ended up having to turn around and go home so she could sleep. I was hoping that I wouldn't have a repeat of yesterday, and was relieved to find out that Sophie just got up from a nap. Whew!

I picked up fast food for dinner and we headed over to school. Sophie enjoyed her nugget and french fries (a meal she will always eat). I must have made her impatient with giving her small pieces of nuggets though, because she reached over and grabbed a whole one. I didn't think she would be able to do much with it, but she proved me wrong by biting of small bits of the nugget. She ended up eating at least half of a nugget all on her own. I was impressed; she is such an independent little lady.
Then Sophie put the whole nugget in her mouth. What a goofy kid I have! (Sophie, of course, thought she was hilarious and had a huge grin on her face the whole time.)
The hallways were pretty empty, so I let Sophie go exploring. She was crawling all over the place, while I tried hard to not think about all of the germs she was crawling through. She enjoyed playing around in my classroom as well. (My students did a lot of cleaning and sanitizing just for Sophie.) Her favorite thing was trying to take some of the posters off my wall. Stinker.
I took Sophie around to look at all of the pumpkins that the different classrooms decorated. She loved them! She kept "oohhh"ing and pointing at them. We had to walk around to look at them all a few times since she enjoyed them so much. She probably wanted to hold them like she does with the ones at home.

My classroom's pumpkin
When the students were allowed up, Sophie and I stationed ourselves outside of my classroom, armed with a big bowl of candy. Sophie sat on my lap and just stared at everyone who came around. She wanted to touch some of the costumes and craned her neck to watch as some of the kids left. She even dropped a few pieces of candy in kids' bags, though most candy I gave her she just held onto or dropped onto the floor. Sophie got to meet a lot of my students, who were all very happy to see her, as they've been wanting to see Sophie since school has started. A lot of my old students (and some of my favorite 'old' parents) came by to visit, too. They were so excited to see Sophie, especially those students who were in my classroom last year (they saw Sophie with her feeding tube and knew all about her troubles, so they were glad to see her doing so well).

Besides getting to pass out candy with me, Sophie was allowed to have a sucker for the first time tonight. She loved it! It kept her occupied when she started to become restless. She even shared her sucker with daddy and me, though she always took it right back. She was a sticky mess but such a happy girl.

"Do you want to try it, Dad?"

"Your time is up...I want it back."

Yum!
The only thing she didn't seem to enjoy about the night was her costume. The hood of the costume, to be exact. It was a little too big for her, so I don't really blame her for not wanting it on. Even without the hood on, she was a really cute ladybug.

"Take it off!"
I'm glad Sophie had a good time tonight. I love showing her off being able to share these experiences with her. (Oh, I love showing her off, too. I just can't help it. She is so darn cute!)

1 comment: