Saturday, March 16, 2013

Who Needs Sleep? (I do, I do!)

It has been a long week! I am so tired! I love my sweet girls, but man I need a good night's sleep.

I've been trying to do the majority of the late night shifts of Josie's feeding because Joe works in the morning. I want to make sure that he gets enough rest. Of course that means that I am not getting enough rest. Most days this is fine, because I can nap with the girls. However this week they have been waking up even earlier than normal and I have not really been able to nap. Most of the days when Sophie is sleeping, Josie wakes up and needs to be fed and played with. When Josie is sleeping Sophie is awake and wants to play. There have been a couple mornings where Sophie and I took 30 minute catnaps on the couch which is nice but doesn't quench my need for sleep. I can't wait until Josie sleeps through the night! She is still getting up every 3 hours to eat, so I fear that it will be a while until she sleeps through the night.

Sophie has been more difficult this week than others. I'm sure that has to do with the fact that she has a double ear infection. She really demands my attention during the day, which I can't do 100% since I have Josie. She picks the moments like when I am feeding Josie or changing her diaper to start trying to get my attention. Of course I understand what she's doing and why she's doing it, but that doesn't make it any easier on me. I wish that I had more energy to give her all the attention that she craves and deserves, but I just don't. This lack of energy has also lowered my patience level. I am sad to admit that Sophie has been put in timeout more times this week than she has in the past month. (Do I really have to ask her 5 times to help pick up toys or to move away from Josie when she is building block towers? Well, she is 2 1/2 so I guess I do, but still...) I know the poor kid is just bored, but I am too exhausted to be much fun. I feel like such a horrible mother!

I'm trying very hard not to be a huge complainer. I wanted both of these little girls and I know how much of a blessing they are. I love them so much and I am so glad that I am their mom. Being tired is just a small price to pay for the happiness that they bring to my life. Still, I am exhausted! I think I am going to have to send Sophie to the babysitter's at least once or twice next week just so I can catch up on my sleep (while Josie naps). Hopefully getting some more rest will make me a better and more patient mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment