Wednesday, August 31, 2011

One Year Ago...

One year ago today we were finally became "parents."

Sophie and I stayed together in the hospital for a few days. I was recovering from my c-section and she was being closely watched by the doctors. When I left the hospital on the 26th, I had to leave Sophie without me. She had jaundice which needed to be taken care of. So while she was "sun bathing" under the bili lights, Joe and I had to go home alone. It was the worst car ride I had ever been on.

We went every day (multiple times) to visit Sophie in the hospital. Each night when I would wake up to pump, I would call to check on her. Even back then we had to worry about her food intake. Even after her jaundice levels went down, they kept her to work on getting her to eat on her own.

On August 31, 2010 the doctors finally said she could go home! Words can't explain how happy I felt. We finally were able to become new parents...you know, those sleep deprived zombies who can't help but smile like a fool every second of the day. No more doctors or nurses to help us, we were finally on our own. It was so terrifying and exhilarating.




August 31, 2010
Leaving our corner of the Special Care Nursery




Sleeping in her crib for the first time
I am so thankful that we only had to spend a few nights away from Sophie. I know that we were very fortunate in this aspect. Some people are separated for weeks, months, lifetimes from their children. Still, it wasn't any easier to be apart from our little girl. Even though we have our rough days/nights, I cherish each day that I have with Sophie. She is the best thing to ever happen to me.




August 31, 2011

1 comment: