Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Potty Training

Potty trainings Sophie has been one of my goals this summer. While we could get her to use the restroom, it wasn't consistent. We were able to create a routine where she would use the restroom after she woke up in the morning and before she put her pajamas on at night. That was nice, but she needed to start using the restroom all of the time. As the summer through to an end, I knew I really needed to get serious with this potty training business. That meant it was time to take away the diapers and have some accidents.

On Sunday afternoon we decided to try having Sophie go without a diaper. At first we were going to just have her be naked but she was not having that. So the next best compromise was for her to wear a dress with no bloomers underneath. She wasn't having that either. So we let her wear bloomers under her dress but without any diaper. She seemed fine with this and continued on with her day. We had her take multiple restroom breaks and she did really well. When it was naptime, we had her put on a diaper and when she woke up it was almost completely dry. There was just a teeny tiny wet spot. We were so proud of her! She did well for the rest the day up until about an hour before bedtime. We were upstairs and all of a sudden she started crying, saying that she peed. We asked her where she peed and she pointed to the stool in her bedroom. We talked with her again about where she supposed to pee and that she should let mommy or daddy know when she feels the urge to go. We reinforced that she should not pee in her panties or bloomers while we cleaned up the mess. 

Monday I dressed Sophie and another dress with bloomers and no diaper. She did well for an hour and then had an accident. We were playing outside and she went inside to get a toy. She stayed in there for a little too long and when I went in to check on her she told me that she had peed on the floor. We changed her clothes and she did great for the rest of the afternoon. She fought me when I put a diaper on her before she went down for nap. Just like the day before she woke up basically dry. She continued to do well with using the potty up until dinner time. After dinner the accidents started. One accident came while she was playing. She ended up pooping in her bloomers a little, but finished pooping on the potty. She was devasted! An hour later she was playing in her room and peed a tiny bit in her bloomers. She immediately cried and told me that she wet her bloomers. About 20 minutes later we were outside playing and she peed again. She immediately started crying telling me that she was wet. At that point I was frustrated and wasn't the most supportive parent. I told her she was going to have to sit in her wet clothes for a little bit. She cried and asked for new bloomers or to be naked. At that point Josie was being fussy so we went inside so I could change Sophie's clothes and put Josie to bed. Sophie continued crying and being loud and I was just done with it. I told her to change her clothes if she wanted and she continued to cry. Then I became a big jerk. I told her she needed to stop crying because she was being a baby. I said only babies pee in their pants and the way she was whining made her like a baby, too. I quickly realized that I was being mean and unfair so I apologized to Sophie and changed her clothes. A few minutes later she came over to me and told me, "I sorry I peed my bloomers. I sorry mommy." Break my heart! Seriously, I am such a jerk! I told her that I knew those were all just accidents and that she is still learning. Most importantly I told her that I loved her. I am very angry with myself for acting the way I acted. I just need to learn from the experience and not allow myself to repeat those actions. Man, parenthood is tough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment