Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The End of Summer

It is that time of year again...the end of the summer and back to school for me. I've been feeling bad this past month because Sophie and I have spent more time indoors than out doing different activities. I really wanted her to have a special summer since it is our last one that we will have alone together. Sure she won't remember it, but it still meant something to me. The problem is that it has been so hot this summer so I really didn't want to go outside much unless I was in the pool. Sophie wasn't allowed to go in a pool until her finger was healed, so that took away 2 weeks. Plus, I have been so exhausted since I am pregnant that I just wanted to lounge around on the couch. Those things together have equaled a lazy July/beginning of August. We still did a few activities, but not as much as I had hoped for. I still think we had a good time together though. Sophie can always find something to get into.

Today was our last day before I had to go back to school. I really wanted to make it special, but we both had doctors appointments to go to. So, instead of trying to sleep in a little, we woke up bright and early to head over to Children's Hospital for Sophie's cardiology follow-up. They performed an EKG which came back fine. Everything else sounded normal, besides her bicuspid valve. It is still very minor and the doctor told me that if she were to have bigger issues with it, it wouldn't be until she was a lot older. She shouldn't have any issues with sports or anything else growing up. I love good news like that. They told me that Sophie doesn't have to come back for another year. I however need to go back in a month. Ha! I asked the doctor if any of Sophie's heart issues were genetic issues that her new sibling could have. He told me that the bicuspid valve is genetic and that he would suggest the new baby be checked out. I told him that my doctor wanted a fetal echo performed to check for any abnormalities. He recommended that I have my echo done at Children's with his department (he went on about how only they do echos and everyone else does ultrasounds...I'm pretty sure I had a fetal echo with Sophie, but who knows. I was at least told that is what it was. I'm not sure I understand the difference. I mean they looked at Sophie's heart in utero, so...) I agreed to go there for the echo, especially since Sophie's bicuspid valve wasn't caught during my last fetal echo ultrasound echo (and the doctor told me that it should have been picked up). Hopefully no issues will be found, but if they are I feel good knowing that Sophie's doctor will take care of the new baby.

After Sophie's appointment, we headed to the zoo. As always, Sophie had a wonderful time. We went around searching for animals that she hasn't seen yet this summer. She enjoyed looking at them all, and would tell them each "bye-bye" when she was finished looking at them. I also took her on the carousel when we were there. It was her first time on one and I though that she would cry and scream like all the other kids where were on there. Nope. Sophie held on tight, smiled and didn't make a peep. I'm so glad that she enjoyed it! After a quick nap and lunch at home, we went to my check up. Sophie and my mom got to hang out and listen to the new baby's heartbeat. It took awhile to be able to hear it, but eventually we did. When I turned around to see Sophie's reaction, she had her fingers stuck in her ears. Silly girl.

Even though we had to hang out waiting for doctors for part of the time, I still think that it was a pretty darn good last day of summer for the two of us. I can't wait until next summer when I have both of my babies to spend time with!

1 comment: